Sunday, December 14, 2008

Choir Nostalgia

When I was eight years old I joined the Treasure Valley Childrens Choir. For the next 10 years I spent every Thursday night singing. The director, Linda Walker, became a mentor and friend. As a teen, choir was the thing that made me feel valued and gave me confidence. I loved choir!

Well when we moved to this area I was so excited to learn that Linda was still doing the Childrens Choir and had started one in Nampa as well as Ontario. So Natali started choir this fall. She had her first Young Artist (the name for Childrens Choir in Nampa) concert this weekend. It was so fun to watch her up there. She was one of the shortest kids, but she did great. I borrowed a digital video camera so I could post one of her songs. But posting a song turned out more difficult than I thought (too long or something). So here is a segment that Greg recorded. Linda was trying to show how far they had come so she had them sing bad, then good. I think this is the good one. I didn't record the finale which was Natali's favorite, and that means you also miss a little girl puking on the kids in front of her.

video

After the concert we went to Dairy Queen and there was an older choir girl there. We started chatting and I realized that she started choir the year after I left it. She talked about looking up to my younger sister and her friends. It made me feel old. But, all told, the night brought back old memories and was the beginning of new memories as Natali begins the second generation in choir. Who knows if she will love it as much as I did, but for now she thinks it is fun.

2 comments:

kerri d said...

Isn't video uploading a PAIN?!
We were sorry to miss Natali's concert, but decided to use our weekend babysitting for a temple trip instead. So hard to fit that in in December, it seems.

I'm starting to think about having Isaac join the Ontario children's choir. He loves to sing and follows along in the hymnbook really well. Wouldn't it be fun to have the cousins in the concert together next year?

Julianne said...

I definitely should have appreciated choir more. I didn't realize how lucky I was to get training from the Walkers. I can't believe you are getting to put your own kids in!