Saturday, December 6, 2008

"Come what may, and love it" - Elder Wirthlin

Elder Wirthlin, one of the 12 Apostles for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, passed away last Monday and I have been thinking a lot about his life. In October, at 91 years, he got up to speak. He was shaking, and his speech was less than perfect. I remember thinking of how old he was getting. But his words really struck me and when I reread his talk I was overwhelmed by the power of his words. His message was so clear and simply written, but powerful. The point of his talk was that you don't know what life is going to throw at you so just enjoy what comes. And so I used the quote for my blog to remind myself to laugh when my children prove that you can grow pinto beans in your bathroom sink. To remember the eternal perspective when my patience is gone and my kids want one more snuggle. And to remember God's law of compensation when I think "Why do I have to face this...." So come what may, and love it!

2 comments:

kerri d said...

That's a great motto, and I thank you for the reminder of that conference talk by our dear departed apostle.

LadyCarma said...

I love your blog motto. I was impressed by Elder Wirthin's talk in October, and used that talk when I went visiting teaching, as we visit one 82 year old sister who is from South America, whose husband travels to South America for months at a time with his work, even though he is in his 80's and could retire. The sister is always complaining and saying it is too hard. Elder Wirthin's remarks were so appropriate to her situation, but she didn't get it!