Monday, January 11, 2010

My Favorite Reads from 2009

In the back of my journal I keep a log of all the books I read each year. This year I even rated each book to help me remember how much I liked them. I was killing time the other night and was going over my reading lists from the last few years. Each title reminded me of my circumstances while reading that book and the different things I learned. I love books. I love the way they look on bookshelves. I love the way it feels when you see how far you have progressed through a 600 page book. I love getting wrapped up in a good story or being amazed at the skill of writers who can make economics fascinating. I love watching my Natali stay up way too late reading Harry Potter because she just can't wait to find out what happens. I love learning about places and people far away. I can go on and on but instead I will just post my favorite reads of 2009.

The Book Thief - Juvenile Fiction about a girl living in Germany during WW2 and how books influenced her life. Captivating. Wonderful insight into the power of words.

Screwtape Letters- A fictional account of how devils tempt their assigned people. C. S. Lewis is amazing. This was a quick reread for me filled with reminders of how I can be more aware of Satan's attempts on me.

Long Walk to Freedom - The Autobiography of Nelson Mandela. Very long and slow at parts but considering 27 years of his life were spent in jail it was fascinating. His self mastery and commitment were inspiring.

Outliers - Non-Fiction. A statistical study showing patterns in the lives of people that succeed. Sounds boring, but if you haven't read anything by Gladwell give it a try. You'll be surprised at how interesting numbers can be.

Other good reads from the year: David Copperfield, The House At Sugar Beach, Hot, Flat and Crowded, A Room with A View, Confessions of an Economic Hitman

4 comments:

kerri said...

That's a fantastic idea - keeping track of your books in your journal. I'm about fed up with GoodReads... I never remember to log on for one thing, and even though I've gone through the effort of inputing some books I'd like to read on there, I forget what they are when I get to the library.
I have a couple recommends for you, next time we're together remind me.

Laura Bernard said...

We just got the Long Walk. Yea, hefty, but I'm excited to start it.

I really need to keep track of what I read. I was thinking today, I may have read way more than I thought this last year. I just really don't know. But if it turns out I only read six books, maybe I don't want to know!

How bout half books? I read half of Fablehaven, half of Ramona the Brave, half of Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief. Does that count for anything? Just being a lame mom I guess.

jcwoods said...

I loved Outliers!

Melanie said...

I've been meaning to read both the Screwtape letters and The Book Thief. My to-read list keeps getting longer than I have time for! I should keep track of what I read...good idea.