Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Harry Potter Party

Natali's birthday was 10 days before Emily's due date (ironically the same due date as Natali's) Natali wanted to have a friend birthday party but I was hesitant to commit knowing that the baby could come at any time. In the end I gave in as long as she and her friends knew the whole thing could be canceled if the baby came - she didn't come for another week. I told Natali the party would be pretty simple...but I guess I had a little pent up pregnancy energy or something because in the end it was quite a party.

She wanted to have a Harry Potter Party and after searching online we had a lot of fun ideas. The girls put on their wizarding robes (my moms bathrobes) and started the party with witch hats (brownies and ice cream). They also had their fortunes told in divination class when their drinks changed color (We put food coloring in the bottom of the cups and let it dry over night. Then I covered it with ice so they couldn't see it. When I poured their Sprite it magically changed color. Each color represented a different fortune. They thought it was pretty cool and loved the silly fortunes like 'you made a mistake in Transfiguration and are stuck as a pumpkin for the rest of the day')
Before we could move on to Potions they had to decorate their magic wands. Then they mixed things like Hypogriff Tears and Dream Fluid to make Slime. (You can't see it well in this picture but I made up names for all the ingredients and labeled and pre-measured everything into cute little containers which is way over the top for me- I needed something to do apparently)
Here are the girls with their slime showing off their food colored tongues.

Each girl also took home their own broomstick bag of Honeydukes Treat Mix complete with Gryffindor colored m&ms, gummy brains and sharks, and sweet chex mix. Natali and I had a great time planning and carrying out all the different ideas we found.
Natali's actual birthday was Sunday so here she is with her birthday cake. Greg and I are thrilled because Natali loves Almond Poppy Seed Cake and wants it for her birthday every year - so much better than princess cake (no offence Kate). Well Greg didn't want any wax dripping on the cake so she had a hard time blowing the candles out but we all had a good laugh.
She was worried the baby would be born on her birthday so she was happy that all the walking we did that night didn't bring any contractions. We love our happy, friendly, busy, observant, smart, helpful, 8 year old!

2 comments:

Laura Bernard said...

Well done, Lisa! What a woman! Great ideas, too. Isn't the internet awesome! I'm going to start looking for tree house floor plans. Oh, we discovered a nest of wood chucks today. It was under a shed that is being moved to be our chicken coop. Two cute little babies. Too bad your little ones weren't here to see them!

Sharee said...

Wow! Super Fun Party! Next time I see Natali I'll remind her that her mom is super cool!