Friday, October 1, 2010

Gimli is Gone

Thursday night, September 23rd our cat Gimli got out and never returned. After 8 days I have very little hope that we will find him. It is hard to imagine that he is really gone. The kids miss sleeping with him. Poor Greg is sleeping horribly, imagining he hears Gimli all night long or dreaming that he let him inside.

We've had Gimli since February 2003. Greg managed to convince me to get Gimli just weeks before I found out I was pregnant with Mack. If I had know I was pregnant I would have been too worried to get a cat. He has been a great pet and although I always make it clear that he is Greg's, I really am fond of him. He has moved from Oklahoma to New Hampshire to Chicago back to New Hampshire then to Idaho. During one stop on our move to Chicago he got off of his leash (yes we tried a cat leash) at the Hill Cumorah in New York and Greg barely managed to pull him out of the bushes and get him back in the car. He put up with 5 crazy kids, not to mention terrifying cousins and neighbors, and was such a good sport about it.

The kids are already asking for another cat but I groan at the thought. Gimli got lost once before, for a month, and we got a replacement. It was then that I realized I don't love cats - I love my cat. Gimli had his issues (drooling and barfing) but I was used to those issues. I worry about getting another cat and not liking it because it meows too much or too loud, has litter box issues, has issues with the kids.... The kids haven't stopped praying that he will come home safely so maybe I need more faith. We did manage to find him last time but it is hard to imagine that miracle repeated. Then again cats do have nine lives...

1 comment:

Heather said...

Poor kids. Poor Greg. I remember when my childhood cat went missing one night. I always told myself he ran off with his girlfriend cat that I'd seen slinking around. Best of luck in the replacement decision...