Saturday, January 5, 2013

Best Books of 2012

So this years reading started out pretty good, then morning sickness kicked in and well....  Actually I read more while I was sick because it distracted me.  However, it also distracted me from parenting.   So once I was feeling better I had to stop reading fiction and somehow I just never picked anything else up.  Although my totals are down, I did read some great books this year.  Here they are, in no particular order.
The Hunger Games Series - I had to group them together, because you have to read all of them.  I loved the characters.  I loved that they wanted to be good.  They wanted to do what was right.  They were characters I could admire.  I loved the authors imagination and ability to paint such vivid scenes and she really made me think.  Loved the series.

Edenbrooke - A modern attempt at a Jane Austenish novel.  I was a little skeptic starting it but I was desperate for a distracting novel.  I was pleasantly surprised, and even reread parts of it when I needed to kill some time.  The story was a captivating and clean romance that made me smile.

Poisonwood Bible - I listened to this book on tape about 10 years ago and decided to actually read it this summer.  I loved it the first time and loved it even more the second time.  There is such depth in the writing; I got a lot more out of it by reading the actual words.  The story gives you so much to think about and it reminded me of other books I had read about the Congo.  I thoroughly enjoyed getting lost in this one.

Unbroken - As for non-fiction, my pick for the year is about an American POW in Japan during WWII.  The story was incredible and inspiring.  The man was an Olympic sprinter but when the Olympics were canceled he enlisted.  His story is so amazing it read like unbelievable fiction.  His sometimes horrific account is humbling and enlightening.  I don't want to tell much of the story because the suspense is so great, but it is a must read.

The Entitlement Trap - Yes, this is a parenting book and no, I don't think I'm any better of a parent (yet) but the principles in this book really spoke to me.  We have implemented some of them in our home and are still trying to work out the kinks but I love the ideas behind them.  I'm hoping what we are doing will better prepare our kids to be responsible.  The book is written by a couple with 10 kids (maybe it was 9).  Their experiences and ideas have helped me come up with a more calm and deliberate response to my kids.  It is a good reference for me.

The Continuous Atonement - This book helped me understand the Atonement more than anything I've ever read.  The author addresses 'grace' in a way that clarified things and helped me understand the true power of 'grace'.  The examples and stories told helped me see the authors point very clearly.  This writeup is grossly inadequate but the book is definitely worth reading.

1 comment:

Laura Bernard said...

I've been meaning to chat with you about the entitlement book. We are getting ready to set up a new job/allowance system and wanted to hear your thoughts after trying some of their ideas out. Will call soon!