Friday, March 1, 2013

Two Staples Later

I'd been home from the hospital one week.  I was on the couch just holding and enjoying Lily when the shrieking started and Andrew sulked down the stairs.  I debated whether this cry required my assistance or would blow over.  Then Natali's voice suddenly joined in, "Mack's bleeding!  Bleeding a lot!",  repeated over and over.  I looked at Andrew, "I didn't do anything," he said, but his face mirrored guilt.

I put the baby down and ran upstairs to find Mack with a golf ball size lump sticking off his head.  I could tell he was bleeding but wasn't sure how bad the cut was.  Mack was hysterical and Natali was pretty concerned.  In my head I was trying to figure out how I could go to the ER with my new baby and 5 other kids...I pushed that out of my head and focused on calming everyone down.  



 Pictures of his head taken on my phone to show my Dr. brother-in-law.

Natali held screaming Lily but wanted so badly to help Mack.  She gave the baby to her friend who was over playing and proceeded to bring me rags, water, ice packs, the phone... the list goes on.  She called Greg on her own and told him what was going on.  I was so impressed with how she wanted to help and thought about what things might need to be done.  I was relieved to hear that Greg was only 20 minutes away.  So we just tried to keep Mack calm.  

Once Greg arrived we decided to take him to quick care.  At this point Natali started to cry.  She was so worried about him; she even asked if we could say a prayer.  The last few weeks the kids have been making me crazy with all of their fighting.  It was wonderful to see that in spite of all the quarreling, they really do care about each other.

Hearing both sides of the story, we eventually concluded that during a game of basketfootball (if you've never played this it is basically basketball where tackling is permitted) Andrew pushed Mack who fell into the corner of a table.

 Can you see the staples?

So Mack got three staples in his head (they messed one up and had to redo it) without any numbing or anything.  He was a little loopy that night but the next day he was outside playing football like nothing had happened.  Mack's favorite part was that they told him he couldn't comb his hair for a week!

No comments: