Friday, March 7, 2014

Best Books 2013

This posted is a little belated and maybe it is a little too late to try and do these book justice tonight, but here it goes.  My favorite books from 2013...

The Glass Castle : An amazing memoir by Jeannette Walls telling about her nomadic childhood.  It was shocking to me to read about intelligent people not willing to work to put food on the table for their kids.  Yet, I admired certain traits of her parents and the things they taught their kids.  It mad me laugh, cry, cheer, scream…I loved it.

Gifted Hands : I made Natali read this when I finished.  An autobiography of Benjamin Carson, a famous neurosurgeon.  This book is full of powerful lessons about faith, responsibility, hard work, determination, you name it.  I was inspired by his life.

Ender's Game : This one has been on my to read list forever and I finally got around to it.  I loved the twists and turns and the way the author really makes you think.  A creative and fascinating story.

How Will You Measure Your Life? : Clayton Christensen is a professor at Harvard Business School and closes his students semester by discussing this topic, How will you measure your life?  In the book he outlines his observations about what things matter the most at the end of your life.  I really enjoyed this book and wish I had marked in it more so I could review some of the ideas and apply them better.

Turn Right At Machu Picchu :  Greg read this on his way to Machu Picchu last year so I picked it up and really loved it.  The author, Mark Adams, tries to reenact explorer Hiram Bingham's trip that put Machu Picchu on the map.  I learned a lot about the site and the area around it.  Interesting and well written.

No comments: