Friday, July 1, 2016

Cahokia Mounds- What?

While planing this trip I was talking to a friend who used to live in the St. Louis area and he told me I had to see the Cahokia Mounds.  I was like "The what?"  I started to research and learned that Cahokia is the remains of a huge ancient Native American settlement that covered more that 6 square miles.  They built huge mound out of earth.  The park has 80 of these mounds.  I decided I wanted to go see them.  

The day we went to the park it was 100 degrees and humid.  The museum was really cool (Kate especially loved it) but to see all the mounds we had to endure the heat.  We grabbed an ancient cassette player and started the tour.  The largest mound, Monks Mound, is the largest earthen structure in the Americas and the largest pyramid north of Mesoamerica.  It is about 100 ft high.  The hike to the top was brutal in the heat (Kate stayed at the bottom).  


 Here are some pictures from the top.
 Can you see St. Louis off in the distance?  It was so hot but it was pretty amazing from the top.  There was a lady running the stairs to the top and I think she was crazy!
Overall it was pretty cool but the heat definitely detracted from the experience.  Everyone was happy when we finally left.

No comments: